What is Display Advertising?
Digital Advertising materials are designed to stand out while still matching its surroundings while Native ads are designed to completely blend in with the rest of the website. These are both paid advertisements but when it comes to fitting in smoothly on the page where they are placed, native advertising takes the cake. Native advertisements are less disruptive and Yahoo actually prefers them for their digital magazines.
Everything about a native ad matches the rest of the content in the sense that they are “related content” or “promoted stories”. As a matter of fact, you may not even recognise it as an ad right away. Aside from staring at the ad for a long time, the only indicator you have that it is an ad is the word SPONSORED which is normally cleverly placed somewhere near the ad material. Display Advertising, on the other hand, uses materials that are obviously separate from the content.
Now you have two options to consider for your web advertising this 2018! A good example of native advertising is Content Marketing, although content can also be display in some forms. For example, branded infographics and videos, when positioned neatly in an article, can fit into the display bracket – specifically when they are paid for by an advertiser.
Blogs, articles, reviews and other content marketing formats are not considered as display advertising. The purpose of these content marketing materials is to create a value exchange with the consumer with useful, interesting, and targeted information.
Kinds of Display Advertising
Even though there is a preferred display ad size, not all display ads fit seamlessly into one of those boxes. Some other common formats for both static and video display ads include the following:
1. The Rich Media Ad
This kind of digital marketing material has advanced features like video, audio, or other elements that encourage viewers to interact and engage with the content.
You probably have experienced browsing at work, then all of a sudden a loud music plays unexpectedly as the page loads. Then you realise that you are not wearing your earphones (or maybe it is not allowed in your workplace), and now you have alerted everyone in your office that you are doing something else other than work. That is a form of rich media.
Although there are more quiet versions of this Display Advertising material that just sits in silence until you actually hover your mouse over them. While text ads try to market your product through words, and traditional digital ads sell with pictures, rich media ads aim to engage with your target audience with an interactive ad.
Some rich media ads can expand, float, and do other interactive actions. With the growing competition in the web advertising industry this 2018, it is not such a bad idea to integrate rich media ads into your Online Advertising strategy. Rich media allows you to create complex ads that can generate strong user response.
If you wish to, your ads can include multiple levels of content in one placement. Your ad can contain videos, games, tweets from an ad, and many more. Whether your goal is to simply generate clicks on your website or you want to create a stronger brand awareness, rich media is the format for you!
2. The Interstitial Ad
This kind of Display Advertising ads is normally used for promoting apps or promoting within the app. Yelp is one well-known user of this ad format. They frequently use Interstitial ads to promote its app from Google searches.
Interstitial is a full-screen ad the appears in between user activities like clicking from one page to another or going to the next page on websites.
While typically, this kind of ad is displayed at natural transition points in the flow of an app. For example, an interstitial ad may appear during the pause between the levels of a game.
When this Display Advertising ad appears, the user has the option to tap on the ad to go to its linked app, product or service page, or just to close it and return to the app.
3. The Overlay Ad
This kind of Display Advertising ads is similar to an interstitial in the sense that they both pop-out during a transition point of your activity, but as the name suggests, and overlay ad is transparent and it allows you to still see what is going on behind it.
An overlay ad is most commonly used on streaming videos. This ad format allows the advertisers the opportunity to place a traditional banner over a video that a user is watching. It may be different for each advertiser, but typically overlay ads are designed to be a semi-transparent banner placed at the foot of a video screen.
The overlay advertisement will remain static even though the video underneath it is running. Users can click your ad at any point during the video. They also have the choice to close it instead.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Display Advertising
Just like everything else in the world, display ads have their own sets of pros and cons. One of the advantages is being flexible. Display ads are flexible in the sense that there are countless combinations in terms of formats, sizes, and styles, which gives you a variety of mix and matches.
Implementing display ads in your Online Advertising strategy also has the ability to take your brand further. Given that there are millions of websites reached by Google.
This search giant can match your ads up to websites and apps based on keywords or your own targeting preferences. You just need to work on bidding on the right keywords.
Display Advertising is a fairly direct approach to your target audience. Display advertising analytics allow you to track the number of clicks, impressions and conversions the ad has generated in real-time, giving you a clear idea of what is working with your targeted consumers.
Those are all the advantages of incorporating display advertising in your web advertising this 2019.
DIsadvantages display advertising
While all these features and reasons are enticing, there is still a downside to using display ads. Display ads are everywhere! They are so widely used to the point that a lot of people have grown immune to them.
This is why display ads are also widely ignored. At this point, many people have developed ad-blindness which resulted in an average click-through rate across all formats being less than one percent.
For instance, Google found out over the summer that only 54 percent of ads is viewable for videos. Three-quarters of those non-viewable ads were playing in a background tab or never actually on-screen. The viewability of display advertising materials is also affected by adblocking.
The use of ad-blocking plugins and apps has skyrocketed over the past few years, especially in Europe. It has been stated on a report that Adobe and PageFair have released regarding adblocking that ad-block usage grew 48 percent in the U.S.
This amounts to 45 million monthly active users. The number of monthly active users totals 77 million in Europe, with more than a quarter of German Internet users and about 35 percent of those from Greece and Poland using ad blockers. There is no point in denying that the process is going to take some effort and it is not going to be easy but is it worth it? Definitely!
Tips on How to Implement Your Display Advertising Strategy
Display ads offer many options, so take the time to experiment with different templates, colours, and content to get the best results. You want your ad to be a standout! What makes a great display ad? Here are our top tips for creating effective display ads.
Let’s dive into each of these tips, and look at some examples. Now that you have been warned about the pros and cons of using display advertising for your Online Advertising strategy, you now have a better understanding of how it would and should work. Here are some few tips to apply your display ad into your web advertising this 2018:
1. You have to make your ads visually stimulating.
- Display ads have the same principle as an infographic. Less is more! There may be a lot of information that you want to cram in your ad, but if you do that, you are sacrificing the aesthetics of your ad.
- A busy advertisement is not good for your online advertising strategy. This is something that you would not want to do, overwhelming and busy ads can make your target audience immune to seeing ads. Plus, people have a short attention span, a one-liner ad will fare better than an ad with a full paragraph on display.
2. It is advisable that you use responsive ads.
- Using responsive ads will save you time creating different versions of your ads for different devices. Responsive ads will automatically adjust the size of your ad for different types of devices, such as mobile, tablet and desktops, and can fit in almost any available ad space. Responsive ads are highly recommendable especially for web advertising this 2019.
3. You have to optimise the images and the brand logo that you are using.
- Your logo should be clear, simple and it should have a good amount of wow factor. The advisable size for a logo is a 1:1 or 4:1 aspect ratio. The main image of your ad should be crisp and high-quality. Avoid overlaid text, collages, and excessive blank space. Acceptable aspect ratios are 1.91:1, and 1:1. It’s recommended to have more 1.91:1 images than 1:1 images.
4. Your digital advertising materials should be experimental, yet complimentary at the same time.
- There are so many different display ad formats that you can mix and match. It makes sense to try and see which ones work best for you. Once you find out which combination works well for your brand, that is when you start to aim for consistency. They have to go with your other marketing materials, this way people will be able to subconsciously associate your ads with your company
5. You have to be careful not to be interruptive.
- Rich media ads are particularly unexpected and interruptive. They are often seen as the irritating catalysts for downloading an ad blocker. Many people consider autoplay ads the most annoying kind of advertising, compared with pop-ups, TV commercials, junk mail and sponsored tweets. Rich media may be a good way to perk up your online advertising strategy but be careful not to be known as the brand with the annoying ads.
6. You have to be direct with your goals and message.
- You have to ask yourself first: What are you trying to achieve? If your goal is just to have a good company branding, a good campaign will suffice, but if that is not the case, you have to include an obvious call-to-action in your web advertising this 2018. For example, if you want people to earn more about your products, add in a “Learn more” button if you want them to call you, include a “Call Us Now!” prompt. You should give your target audience a path for them to know your intention.
Aside from CTAs, you can also communicate your message clearly by using clear and simple text to describe your product, service, or brand. Make your description text easy to read and understand. Avoid generic messaging or click-bait.